You are not currently logged in. Please create an account or sign in to view the full course.
5. Tiberius and Tacitus
- About this Lecture
About this Lecture
This last module looks at Tiberius himself and his relations with the senate, in particular Annals 1.11-14. Tacitus characterizes him as a ‘type’ tyrant – or is he influenced by his own experience with the emperor Domitian? Finally, we consider what the Annals might have to say about the Rome of Tacitus’ own day.
In this course we explore Book 1 of Tacitus’ Annals, in which Tacitus describes the death of Augustus, the accession of Tiberius and the mutinies of the army in Pannonia and Germania. We consider not just what happened in those years, but especially how Tacitus presents and analyses it – and what sort of interpretations he might be inviting us to make.
- A. J. Woodman (trans.), Tacitus, The Annals. Translated with Introduction and Notes. (Indianapolis and Cambridge: Hackett, 2004)
- J. C. Yardley (trans.), Tacitus. The Annals: The Reigns of Tiberius, Claudius, and Nero. With introduction and notes by Anthony A. Barrett (Oxford World Classics, 2008)
- Norma Miller (ed.), Tacitus: Annals I: Bk 1 (1959, republished 1992)
- Rhiannon Ash, Tacitus ( Ancients in Action) (2006)
- A. Woodman (ed.), Cambridge Companion to Tacitus (2009)
Dr Christopher Whitton studied Classics at St John’s College, Cambridge, where he then wrote a PhD on the works of Tacitus and Pliny. He has taught at Cambridge since 2007, where he is now a Senior Lecturer in Classics and a Fellow of Emmanuel College.
His particular area of expertise is Latin imperial prose literature, in particular Pliny’s Epistles and the works of Tacitus. Among other things, he’s currently writing a commentary on Annals 14.
Cite this Lecture
Whitton, C. (2018, August 15). Tacitus: Annals: Book 1 - Tiberius and Tacitus [Video]. MASSOLIT. https://www.massolit.io/courses/tacitus-annals-book-1/tiberius-and-tacitus
Whitton, Christopher. "Tacitus: Annals: Book 1 – Tiberius and Tacitus." MASSOLIT, uploaded by MASSOLIT, 15 Aug 2018, https://www.massolit.io/courses/tacitus-annals-book-1/tiberius-and-tacitus